If you’ve been struggling to get your resume together and still haven’t quite gotten it just right, here are a few of our no-fail, go-to rules that are sure to take your resume from the “throw away” pile to the “will call”.
Top 5 DO’s
1. Do concentrate on your most relevant skills/experience.
2. Do highlight your achievements and contributions.
3. Do limit your work history to recent 10 – 15 years.
4. Do express yourself clearly and concisely.
5. Do check for typos and inconsistencies.
Top 5 DON’Ts
1. Don’t rely on only your work duties.
2. Don’t exceed 1 (entry-level) to 2 pages (management).
3. Don’t have typos or errors in information.
4. Don’t worry about being a braggart.
5. Don’t lie!
Top 5 MUST HAVE’s
1. Professional Summary (NOT an Objective!)
2. Relevant Skills (especially computer technology)
3. Correct Dates (background check proof!)
4. Relevant Work History (even if it’s volunteer)
5. Achievements and Duties (not ONLY duties)
KEMPS’ Golden Resume Rule
Not the “perfect” candidate you think HR reps are seeking.
Put your personality, proficiencies, and performance ability at the forefront and let the proof be in the pudding.
When in doubt, contact us! With custom solutions and personalized care, we’re here to help.
Kate E. Stephenson is a freelance communications specialist whose business encompasses content writing, comprehensive editing and quality resume services. Lexicon is her brainchild, a blog all about Language—insight into today’s job market and hiring tips, book releases and reviews, and general folly concerning the many mysterious facets of the English language and human communication. Be sure to read more about Kate, check out a full listing of services and rates, and enjoy her weekly columns on Kate.Book.com!